Monday, March 20, 2006

Theme Wk 9 ..Beyond the Obvious

" Are you crazy? Why are you taking three classes and working full time too?"
I've heard that more than once. Usually I give some glib response like " It beats housework!"
Even though most of the women I know my age are preparing for retirement and spending time with grandchildren, I'm plugging away toward that cap and gown. My first.
Heredity indicates that I'll be around for another 30 or 40 years. Mom was in her 80's when she died, as were her parents. Dad is 90 and still going strong. His mom lived to be 95. ( When she was in her 80's we finally convinced her to stop climbing the ladder outside to wash her windows. )
Unfortunately, my husbands ancestors were not so long lived. Many of them died young from heart disease. Others from various forms of cancer. My husband, who is not yet 60, had two heart attacks last year, and one the year before. I've told him he could find a better spring hobby...
Six more credits and I'll have my degree. Will I stop then? Probably not. This little journey has taught me that the more I learn, the more I want to learn. It started out for the money,continued through the fear of being alone, but has evolved into so much more. It's all about me now. I'm doing it for myself.

4 Comments:

Blogger johngoldfine said...

You're describing yourself as doing something beyond the obvious, but you're doing it in an extremely clear and direct way--nothing coming from an angle that I recognize. What the week is about is writing that suggests, that tickles, that teases, that approaches and then avoids.

The assignment itself is tricky without being a tricky trick, if you see what I mean. There's no mean smile involved!

Sleep on it?

10:06 PM  
Blogger marciamellow said...

ok..too obvious that I'm afraid of being alone, and figuring I'll be my sole support before it's time? Or was that not in it at all? Want me to try again? or just go on to the prompts?

6:49 AM  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

Yikes, no, I didn't quite see that. I can see it now, but is it on the page in the words? I don't really know any more--my mind is polluted with the knowledge, so to speak. I don't think there's any crossover between the themes--they just run along parallel, but that may be me.

9:29 PM  
Blogger marciamellow said...

ok...tweaked the ending a bit..it's in the words now..I think!

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home